Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Madrid, Taco Bell, and Birthdays!

Blogging is hard.  And unless you have ever attempted to blog regularly, or even at all, you have no right to judge me for taking so long to post again.  So there.  Get off my back.

This past weekend Jody, Jenika, and myself ventured back to Madrid to go inside the Palacio Real.  This palace has over 2000 rooms in it and was originally built for the King and his family to live in.  However, the current King and his family chose not to live there because his father told him the food was always cold by the time the staff carried it from the kitchen to the dining room.  (See Mother, I am learning things!)  So we returned to Madrid and paid a discounted 6 euros to walk through and see 20 or so of the rooms in the palace.  Although we were not permitted to take pictures, you know me and my type of people.  Of course we snapped a few!  And we had all intentions (Fun fact: I couldn't remember the word intentions and I paused for solid minute or so trying to think of it.  I'm losing my English mind.  And Spanish for that matter. Ugh.)  of taking more photos, UNTIL a snotty little Chinese lady saw us and we got really nervous and ran away.  I'm pretty sure the security team followed us from then on out, but I could have just been a little paranoid.  

However, I am great at googling things and stealing pictures from online.  So here are a few of the rooms I was fortunate enough to walk through and see:


La escalera principal, this is what you see when you walk up the stairs upon entering.  


La salón de Trono


La Real Amería 


Who is that cutie? Oh, that's me. :)


Jody, Jenika, and myself. Thanks to other tourists for the kind photo!


La catedral which is across from the palace

It was really neat to see the rooms where royals have dined, drank tea, or simply relaxed.  I was annoyed that I couldn't take pictures though.  As you can imagine.

Immediately following our tour of the palace, we set off on our trek to find Taco Bell.  After starting off on a bad foot by walking for 15 minutes in the wrong direction, you would think we would maybe see the bad omen and go home.  NOPE.  We walked, and we walked, and we walked some more.  Asked several people to make sure we were still on track, and finally, with shaky legs, we saw the Taco Bell sign up ahead.  It was magical.  


And suddenly, I felt it.  The explosion beginning in my stomach.  How could something I love so much, hurt me so bad?  We found the nearest metro, hopped on the train, and I began the process of questionable burping.  Yes, very questionable.  But that wasn't the worst part.. Jody.  Poor, poor Jody.  I will not go into details, but it involved a weird bathroom dance for 10 minutes and sprinting through the crowded metro station to the bathroom.  There were almost tears, but we made it out alive.  And Jenika was just fine in case you were wondering.  Jerk.  

And now.  I must discuss a few great birthdays.  

First, it was this weirdo's birthday the other day.  


I don't usually claim people who dress like that, but in this case, I applaud the dedication for a half price (or whatever the discount is) burrito at chipotle.  I applaud, because I would do anything for a chipotle burrito bowl right now.  ANYTHING.  (Except eat taco bell again.  That's the shit I won't do.)  He's great.  Everyone should love him.  

Next, I have to admit that I am the worst daughter on the planet.  Want to know why? I missed my Pappy's birthday.  I SWEAR I PUT IT IN MY CALENDAR ON NOVEMBER 16TH.  But nope, I put it on the calendar as the 17th, and therefore missed his birthday.  But it wasn't just any birthday.  It was his 50th birthday.  Yea.  I can hear the awe's coming from your mouth.  It was terrible.  Worst part: I got called out on it before I could fix it.  Yep.  Worst.  Daughter.  Ever.  



However, there was a surprise coming in the mail the whole time, so technically I still win. BLEH! 

Happy birthday, family.

More to come soon!  We have a day trip to Toledo on Friday, a day trip to el Escorial (google it) on Saturday, an overnight-ish trip to Paris next Tuesday, Thanksgiving (American style) on Thursday, and a trip to Switzerland next weekend! 

Happy reading.  Stay Excellent, ME. 

No comments:

Post a Comment