Thursday, September 12, 2013

9/11

So, I know this is a little late, and I apologize for that.

'm going to share a post from a fellow Versailles High School graduate.  Although she was two years younger than I when 9/11 occurred, I think she depicted exactly how I feel about it in her post from yesterday.

The Children of 9/11

This past summer, when I went to New York with some family, we had the honor of visiting the 9/11 memorial.  I remember the butterflies in my stomach as I waited in line to see the beautiful sadness that I was about to witness.  As I stepped onto the grounds, I remember an instant feeling of appreciation and awe.  I've never experienced that kind of sweeping emotion before.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to cry for the lives lost or rejoice for the brave souls who stepped forward that day and entered into His awesome graces.  It's a day of utter confusion, yet a day of content.  A day of understanding.  A day that was equally as important to me as 12 years ago.

I remember walking around the two buildings and touching as many names as I could on the plaques.  I wanted to touch every single person who stood up for my freedom.  For my small, not yet significant life as a 9 year old.  For every freedom I've been able to practice in my twenty years of life.

My dad is a volunteer fireman, and the only thing I can remember from that day in the 3rd grade, is thinking over and over again that he was going to leave us and go do his job.  I didn't care that it was hours away from us, I thought that every firefighter in the world was going to be there helping, and I just remember being so selfish about it.  I didn't want him to go.  I wanted him to stay and be safe.  Of course he didn't go.  I just couldn't comprehend that at the time.

As young children in America, we understood the severity of the situation.  What we couldn't comprehend was the effect it would have on the rest of our lives.

Never forget those who lost their lives that day 12 years ago.  Always remember those who gave their services and those who continue to give their services today.

That's all for now.  Happy reading.  Stay excellent, ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment