Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A Very Uncomfortable Bus, The Beach, and My New Trabajo :)

Well hello there!

This one is in English.  Obviously. 

So, a lot has happened since my last post.  It's almost October people!! Shoot gurrrrrl! 

Last weekend we went on our first overnight trip with the group.  We left on Thursday morning,

I'm just going to go ahead and interrupt myself there.  The night before our bus left at 9 am, some of the girls and I thought it was a good idea to go out? Yea.  I don't know.  Oscar (the host brother that took us to Madrid when we had to run from the police.. yes, the fun one) invited us all to go out with him because it would be the last time we all saw him.  Ever.  Of course we went.  It was a ton of fun and we'll miss him dearly.  Mostly because he was a smartass and spoke fluently in sarcasm.. even in English.  Back to the original thought...

at 9 am.  This bus was absolutely awful.  The seat were such a tease.  They were just big enough for you to feel comfortable, but as soon as you wanted to lay sideways or put your legs up, the seat seemed to shrink.  It was annoying.  

The first stop was the hotel de Don Quixote.  He's pretty great.  Don Quixote is the first book ever written in history, and it's in SPANISH.  It's a big deal.  But let me ask you, why didn't Señorita Golen have us read that? Huh.  I have no idea.  We read La Catrina.  Stupid.  Enjoy my lovely face:


Next stop, Córdoba.  We toured the inside of a mosque that has switched hands between Catholics and Muslims for hundreds of years.  It's not a cathedral, but the decorations and structures inside the building are so unique.  I loved it. 


We also walked down the famous "street of flowers".  It was beautiful, but my photos do it no justice. 



At the end of the street, we found Miguel.  He was nice.. looking.  And sounded amazing too. :)


Our next pit stop was Sevilla.  We stayed in a hotel here.  We saw a park that was famous for it's romantics and smell of flowers, the plaza de España, and the plaza de Americas. 


Parque de Maria Louisa


Plaza de Americas

Plaza de España

The next morning we spent the day in Sevilla walking around Alcazar Real.  It's sort of like a huge, open reception hall looking place, except it's really important and prestigious.  I pretty much shut down this day though.  Whoops.  I was tired, sun burnt, and I wanted the beach. 


La plaza.. and Jody's hand. (Hi Jody.)


A flippin sweet fountain thingy.


However, we did meet a peacock.  We named him George. He got incredibly too close for comfort.

AND FINALLY, we made it to Cádiz.  As soon as we got there we all ran to our rooms, threw on our swim suits and skipped into the ocean.  That's where we met a rude awakening.  High tide.  There was seaweed gunk EVERYWHERE.  I was gagging.  So instead, we found the pool. Heaven. :)

The next morning we had a "short" tour.  It was not short.  Obviously, that's why I used quotation marks. Anyway, we saw yet another amazing cathedral, the fish market, and a monument dedicated to Spain's constitution.  


The constitution monument.


The fish market.. get it gurrrl.



The view from our hotel room!







Our AMAZING Italian dinner.. (this will come up later in my blog too..)











And the aftermath.. we obviously hated it. :)


The girls and I on the beach for the sunset. <3


And of course we had to make fools of ourselves at some point.  WE LOVE CHOCOLATE. 

So yea, that was my 4 day weekend.

As for this week already, well, there were a few mishaps, but also a few great things.  To start things off, I accidentally told one of my professors that churches were made of shit while we were standing in the cathedral.  It was great.  Two days later, I told another professor that I ate dick over the weekend while trying to explain to her how amazing our chicken parm was at the Italian restaurant (told you it would come back).  You see, there are some words that are just so close in spelling/pronunciation, but oh so far away in meaning.  For example, madera=stone but mierda=shit.  Pollo=chicken but polla=dick.  IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW PEOPLE.  IMPORTANT THINGS. 

Today I tutored for the first time.  I'm working with a 13 year old Spanish boy helping him to practice his English.  I ended up getting lost, AGAIN, but a kind man saw me with my map and offered to help.  He spoke very little English, but used his GPS on his phone to show me where the student lived.  Funny part: I was literally 17 steps away from the house.  So close, yet so far away.  This guy, César, asked if I was looking for an intercambio, which I was!  (An intercambio is an exchange.  When I say intercambio I mean that we will meet once or twice a week at a cafe and he will help me practice my Spanish and I will help him practice his English.  It's a great way to help yourself while you help others.  Service hours?? Just kidding.  But really.)  So not only did I make my very first hard earned euros today, but I found an intercambio and we're starting tomorrow!  How exciting!  

But let's not forget what got me all these cool things.. getting lost.  I'm awesome.

Ok, I think that's all for now.  

Happy reading.  Stay excellent, ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment