Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving- Part 1

Well hellllllllooooo there!

Yes, it is 5:53 am right now.  Yes, I did just get home from school finally.  Yes, I did just make tofu meatballs for the first time.  And yes, I will share with you my journey (like usual).

But first, I found these on the kitchen table, and I put them on.  I'm adorable.


So the balls (I will continue to refer to them as this.. simply because I can.  I hope you don't mind...) aren't actually finished yet.  Now don't get your panties in a bunch just yet, they're cooking as we speak, or type/read, however you'd like to phrase that.  They smell absolutely delicious however.

My lovely brother had to work this evening at the bar so we weren't able to leave Bowling Green until around 3am.  (The fact that I'm up right now is probably making a little more sense to you at this point.) I took the liberty of driving so I went to bed around 9:30 and set my alarm for 2am.  That is dedication.

I meant to make the meatballs at school, I had all the ingredients all ready to go so I could make them when I got off work today (well yesterday.. I don't know.  It's confusing!) but then I completely forgot! I mean completely.  I didn't even think about it until I got on the interstate and started thinking about what I was going to do when we got home (because sleeping seemed kind of silly after I slept for the night already).  I was mad to say the least.

So I made a pit stop.  WalMart in Sidney, Ohio at 4 am is not pleasant.  It was so empty and eerie, and there were a few Mom's who had that crazy look in their eyes with turkey's in their shopping carts that really had me worried.

I just flipped the balls.  They look great.

So back to the point, the making of the balls.  It was super easy.  For real this time, and it didn't take me hours like my cheesy vegetable soup (which I just ate the last of today for lunch).  Here's the link: Tofu Meatballs Recipe

Basically, you combine everything together at once and then form the balls.

19 oz. firm tofu (I only bought one container of 14 oz.)
1/4 C. chopped onions
1/2 C. Italian style bread crumbs
1/4 C. egg beaters
1 Tbsp. Soy sauce (which I just realized I forgot to add.. Whoops)
1/4 C. Parm. cheese, grated
1 Tbsp. parsley
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. oregano

AND THEY ARE FINISHED!
But I'm kind of terrified to try them.  Don't judge me!  I had to squish up that tofu and let me tell you, that texture is not something you want to touch.  Ever. So now I'm concerned that the texture will also be icky in my mouth. I'll just finish them with some BBQ sauce in a crock pot (and let Paige taste them first) and hopefully my family won't be afraid to try them!

Happy reading.  Stay excellent, Me. :)

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment